You have the itch. Something inside you has been stirred. Maybe it was a recent sermon, maybe you read a blog post, or maybe you just have seemingly “stumbled” across the idea. However it occurred, something has changed. For the first time in your life, you are actually considering working overseas, and it may not mean you have to become a "vocational missionary."
So how do you begin to look for opportunities to do what you love to do, do what you went to college for and stay in the industry you work in currently?
Here are five basic building blocks to consider when you begin your journey of international exploration:
- RESEARCH – You have heard the old adage in real estate, “location, location, location.” Well, in landing a job overseas, the process has its own adage – “Research, Research, Research!” Looking for answers online is second nature to you anyway… “Google It!”
Here are some specifics to look for in your research:
- The City – Demographics, culture, expats living there, cost of living, etc.?
- The Industry – Are jobs available in your area of expertise or study?
- Visas/Work Permits – Can I work there legally? What are the hoops to jump through?
- Education/Experience – Do my skills and education qualify me for working in that country?
- Multinationals – Are their multinational corporations there I can transfer with from the US? Do they hire other expats already?
- RESUME/C.V. – Make sure your résumé/c.v. is up to date, truthful and in the format that is accepted in that country.
- INTERNATIONAL RECRUITERS – Develop relationships with international recruiting firms. Find out the process and best practices for landing a job overseas. These firms often know about jobs that will never be posted on the internet.
- ONLINE JOB SITES – Do not neglect looking at online job sites for jobs that fit your skills, education and experience.
- NETWORK – Network your networks and then network their networks. Remember the old game, Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon? Well, it’s true. If you haven’t heard of it, go back to Step 1 and “google it.”
These are five solid steps to explore in your international job search. Prayerfully walk through this process and be amazed at what the Father can orchestrate through you. What is the first step you need to take?